Friday, August 13, 2010


Seiben steppdecken*

Neatnik and I took in a quilt exhibition at my alma mater Thursday morning. I took pictures of most of them. More importantly, I took pictures of the little descriptive signs next to the individual quilts so that I didn't have to try to remember all of the details about each quilt. Given that we came home with thirty-four quilt pictures, this was a good decision.

Allow me to share with you seven of the quilts the Neatnik and I enjoyed the most. I've arranged them in alphabetical order by quilt name. Please be sure to clicky to embiggen. You will be glad that you did.

This quilt is not very creatively, yet it is entirely descriptively, named Alphabet. Each letter begins a flowering plant name and Neatnik recognized yarrow from the Warrior Cats series of books. While this was very cool, it isn't the major reason that this particular quilt made the grade and into the top seven. The clincher for this quilt was that the appliqué was all done by hand using the buttonhole stitch and it is flawless.

Alphabet

Alphabet

Isn't this little guy the cutest? I mean, sure, I would be upset if the masked marauder were to come dumpster diving in our trash can but being made of cotton and sundry other fibers, I think the only danger The Fall Bandit poses is the potential for a third-degree cute burn.

Bandit
The Fall Bandit

TFB was inspired by a hand-carved wooden raccoon. Notice the three-dimensional leaves cascading down the right side of the work and also the wooden beaded fringe along the bottom border; multi-media quilting!

Fancy Steps is constructed from simple squares so why did it make the cut? It reminds me of the ancient vintage arcade game Q*bert. I know that a Tumbling Blocks quilt is more Q*bert-esque in design but the black background and eye-popping colors of FS triggered memories from my teen years and so there it is.

Fancy Steps
Fancy Steps

The next quilt shares its name with that of its center block: Feathered Star. Both the central motif and the surrounding Evening Star blocks are very traditional although the fabrics used in this quilt are somewhat less than traditional. While I am no quilting maven, I do know enough to examine the meetings of the points of squares and triangles and all of these points were nearly perfectly aligned. Despite the non-traditional fabric patterns, the warm, autumnal palette seems to give this pattern a very vintage feel, like the faded colors of a Civil War era quilt.

Feathered Star
Feathered Star

Not all quilts are destined to be used as bed coverings. There were quite a few examples, like The Fall Bandit, of small quilts solely intended to be displayed as wall hangings. This next quilt is an altar cloth. It was kind of oddly displayed, with folds and drapes instead of flat, so I took a close-up of just one section of Pentecost. The colors are so vivid, highlighting the curving shapes, that they almost seem to leap and flicker like real flames, don't they?

Pentecost Altar Cover
Pentecost Altar Cover

As soon as I laid eyes on the stunning blacks and purples in "Schrodinger" the Cat, I thought of you, Chris. Each of the nine cats is amusingly labeled.

I liked If cats could talk...they wouldn't, Fractal Cat, and Uncertainty Cat, while Neatnik was quick to point out Aristocat.

'Schrodinger' the Cat
"Schrodinger" the Cat

I almost missed this last quilt. Literally. I had already put away my camera and was getting ready to leave the gallery when I noticed it hanging on a column facing towards a display case full of antique thimbles. Happily, the bright blues and yellows caught my eye.

The single fabric used to create the quilt top was printed to resemble Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night. I studied Impressionism and Post-Impressionism in high school and while it isn't my favorite artistic style, there are some artists and pieces individually which I like. The Starry Night is one of them.

What I like about Vincent here, in particular, is how the quilter carefully cut identical triangles from various parts of the printed fabric so that the assembled hexagons themselves form pin-wheel, star, and flower motifs. Look at how the flower in the middle of the quilt is formed from the six yellow orbs of the top right of van Gogh's painting.

Vincent
Vincent

I am sorry about the bright spots in some of the pictures. The gallery curators had motion-sensitive spot-lights aimed at most of the quilts. Not terribly conducive to quality photography, I am afraid.

* "Seven quilts". Just because alliteration is fun.

4 yarns:

Chris said...

Oh, that kitty quilt is fun! :D

But I must confess to particularly loving the Starry Night quilt - I love that painting. And the song. :)

Anonymous said...

The labels on Shrodinger remind me of "Jellicle Songs For Jellicle Cats", and "The Naming Of Cats" from the musical.

Which I've only seen on YouTube....

Also, you get the feeling Vincent's maker went through an awful lot of copies of the same few corners of the painting.....


ILY,NG

Bubblesknits said...

I love the cat quilt, too. :) All of them are impressive, though.

mrspao said...

Amazing quilts. I love the cat one :)