Saturday, September 12, 2009


In which something looks familiar

Hello? Hello? Anybody here? Hey, where am I? Oh, wait, this looks vaguely familiar. I'm sure I've been here before now. Something about the decor...

Oh, I know: it's my blog!

Hi, blog, how have you been? Sorry if you have been feeling a wee bit lonely or neglected this week. I have been very busy with class preparations - all of that beginning of the semester stuff. Of course, if I had scheduled three times as long as I thought I needed, I would have been golden. As it was, I was able to successfully fold time and space, critically disrupting the very fabric of the universe by creating a jagged rift in the space-time continuum. That's the only possible explanation for me not being three weeks behind as of the middle of the first week of the fall semester.

I'm sure that my students, were I to give them access to my blog, would agree.

No, I shall never give students my blog address: it would cost me Deb's loyal friendship because then I would not be able to post funny student emails.

Aside: Neatnik just approached me with a request for a piece of string. I found this mildly hysterical seeing as how I am at my desk, the top drawer of which always houses half a dozen or more bits of yarn. No, I didn't even ask why she wanted a piece of string. I just reached into the drawer, extracted a short length of sock yarn (too short for strangulation, and, so, safe for almost any purpose she can devise), and handed it over to her.

My first classes were yesterday. I planned to arrive early so that I could handwrite the blog address for each student on the handouts which our department secretary had to kindly photocopied for me. Despite the sideways rain, I staggered my drippy self into the computer science office and proceeded to label each blog requirements handout with the student's last name and the required blog address. In a fit of unbridled creativity and efficiency, I stapled each blog handout to a copy of the course syllabus!

Yes, I amaze myself sometimes with my incredibly high standard of excellence in stapling. Swinglineshould name a line of staplers after my humble self.

Too bad that I was working with my Monday roster instead of my Friday roster. I got the section numbers backwards on Thursday night when I was creating my attendance spreadsheets.

Yeah.

All of that educational efficiency kept me fully occupied this past week, so there was very little in the way of knitting. I think I worked four rows of cardigan panel and part of a heel flap between Tuesday and today. Since I haven't got any progress pictures to share, how about an educational snapshot from vacation?

Triceratops horridus

7 yarns:

Sheepish Annie said...

I know what you mean. I had a hard time getting to the blog this past week as it was the first "real" week of school. Even when I had the time, I was too tired to really do much with it.

It'll all come back together soon. Meanwhile, you have those cool vacation pix. And Neatnik is doing something with string so that could prove interesting, right?

Donna Lee said...

Sounds like the year is off swimmingly! I can't wait to see what the students come up with blog-wise. It could be interesting reading for you.

Knitcoach said...

Thanks for promising more fun student reports! You are most patient with them.

mrspao said...

I know how busy this time of the year can be. Hope it all settles down soon.

Sydney said...

You should have had a cat help with the space-time continuum thing. :) Hopefully things will smooth out soon and you'll be back in the swing of things.

Brenda said...

I hope you get into the swing of classes soon.

Your photo got me thinking that it would difficult to knit a hat for a triceratops. Not that one would want a hat...

Anonymous said...

So what did she do with the string, anyway??



ILY,NG.



P.S. Don't ask me, obviously...