Sunday, November 23, 2008


Culling

I've had it. Had it.

There isn't much on the needles right now and I really wanted to put something sort of mindless on the old sticks. I thought maybe a nice simple brioche rib hat would do. I researched the stitch pattern instructions, checked the stitch count, cast on, and promptly demonstrated that today was not a good day for knitting. Not at all.

Three attempts later, I stuffed all of the incriminating evidence into the project bag and opted to accomplish a much simpler task: culling the toy population.

Every year 'round about Thanksgiving or so, we wade through all of the Neatnik's toys to determine which ones are still keepers and which are donation material. When she was much younger it was really easy: child is two years old, toy in question is for a 6-12 month old, she hasn't so much as looked at it in 9 months - donate. Now, it isn't quite so simple.

These days, we have little talks about what is keeper material and what really must go. Sometimes, Number Guy and I are all ready to toss a toy which she's neglected since last Christmas but just seeing it seems to bring back all sorts of fond memories for her and Neatnik just has to retain it. Occasionally, the ensuing discussion grows lengthy.

Tonight's culling experience was not the worst of such sessions. We successfully reduced the clutter in the living room and have a stack of items on the dining room table ready to be donated to the local thrift shop. Just because Neatnik no longer loves the toy doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to be loved by someone else.

I am rather proud of my Neatnik: she understands that there are people who are less fortunate than we are and that giving away the toys we no longer use (but which are still in good condition) helps those mommies and daddies afford to give their children nice toys.

Of course, we still have to perform the culling ritual on the toys up in her room, but for now, the living room floor is decluttered and it is past Neatnik's bedtime and Number Guy and I could use a rest as well.

9 yarns:

Aunt Kathy said...

Bravo Neatnick

Chris said...

Sounds like a good start!

Sheepish Annie said...

I always seem to have trouble with the brioche stitch. And it is such a pain to tink back if you make a mistake!

Good for Neatnik for being able to let go of things. I am the worst with that. I cling...

Deb said...

We became experts in "stealth culling". Then of course the inevitable, "Hmm, I haven't see that toy around for a long time! I wonder what you did with it!" Good for you Neatnik!

Heide said...

My girls, especially my youngest, has a really hard time parting with anything. I try to coordinate Freecycle pick ups and donation drop offs for when she isn't present.

Good luck with finding a worthy knitting project for your needs.

Yarnhog said...

I cull when my kids are at school. They never notice. If I do it when they're around, they won't get rid of anything.

Anna said...

I too am a hoarder, most stuff brings back memories then I can't bear to part. Tho I did get rid of a ton of stuff recently that brought bad memories! I actually find it easiest to get rid of clothes rather than other material items.

How ironic, my Word Verification is binge...

Carrie K said...

Bravo Neatnik is right. I have problems culling my toys too.

Brioche, while pretty, can be evil. As for mindless, aren't your students filling that quota? lol.

April said...

I'm not so good with culling. Especially if it involves anything with "stuffing" in it. Yes, I'm talking about myself, who did you think I was talking about?