I have contracted a dread disease.
It might have been caused by the bit of chill in the air.
It could have been caused by having only two SIPs.
But most likely it was caused by rereading the Yarn Harlot's little books.
Yes. That must be it: reading about the insidious infection which is startitis is contagious.
There is the navy blue yarn waiting to become a sweater for the Neatnik. I have half a dresser full of sock yarn. Then there's the leftover cream colored yarn which would make a very nice hat.
I have been resisting casting on because I really don't want to cast on for a sweater, several pairs of socks, and a hat or two all at once. That would be just too many projects on the go at one time. Too many projects laying around the house and I can't seem to make progress on any of them: I get overwhelmed.
But I needed to do something to take the edge off. I really would like to knit up a cream colored hat - but I needed to check gauge. Instead of knitting a gauge swatch, I knit a gauge night cap.
I knew it would fit: I measured Pooh's head and guessed at a stitch count. You see, Pooh is a very flexible sort of bear. He doesn't mind if the hat is a little too snug or a little too loose: as long as his ears aren't squished, he's good.
BTW, I got 5½ stitches per inch on size 7 (US) needles.