Monday, March 31, 2008


Spindler

Some people are just meant to do certain things. Allow me to elaborate.

Watch a little girl with a fascination with numbers and how things work. She gets straight As in math class, likes to do number related puzzles, and is enthralled by programs which tell how things work. In high school, she achieves top marks on the AP exams in both Calculus and in Physics and blows away the math portion of the SAT exam. No one is surprised when she goes on to become a nuclear physicist.

See the little boy in the front row of the annual kindergarten musical? He looks like he was born to be onstage. He lands the leading roles for the high school drama productions every year and also the the community theater productions each summer. No one is surprised when he goes on to win an Academy Award for Best Actor and founds his own production company.

Sometimes, though, people are meant to do certain things that are not quite so earth-shattering or obvious as their choices of careers. Sometimes, a certain person is just meant to do a certain little thing.

I have long suspected that I am one of those people who is meant to do a particular little thing and today I received confirmation of my suspicion. I am meant to be a spindler.

Yes, yes, I know. I haven't posted a thing about drop spindles in so long that you have forgotten that I even own a drop spindle. And who can remember the last time I whirled the wheel? But a spindler I am surely meant to be.

There was no voice from on high nor was there handwriting on the wall. But a spindler I am surely meant to be.

spindler (noun) - the person who puts a new roll of toilet paper on the little spring-loaded spindle for the convenience of the rest of the world

I have told Number Guy that I am positive that I am the only person at chez trek who puts a new roll on the spindle. He disagrees with me. He even claims that he has changed the roll many times. I've just never caught him at it. Perhaps he should bring me the empty cardboard tube next time.

Lest you think that this is a home-based phenomenon, I present the following evidence: when I visit other people and have to use the Little Knitter's Room, I am always the person who finds a naked, grey, tube spinning disconsolately on the spindle.

My final proof that I am meant to be a spindler occurred this morning. I had to visit the doctor for my annual check-up. The nice nurse asked if I would like to use the facilities. Why, yes, I just had a cup of tea and it would be very nice to get that little chore out of the way before the doctor starts his poking and prodding.

The toilet paper roll had just enough little squares clinging to it for one person's usage.

Of course I changed the roll: I am meant to be a spindler.

PS - I changed the roll at chez trek immediately I got home tonight, too.

19 yarns:

Sheepish Annie said...

Try not changing it. Just carry your own roll around. Not that being a spindler is a bad thing. It would just increase the degree to which people appreciate the role (roll) you play in society. Everyone would be all, "Hey! Where's the toilet paper?? Gosh, I wish I'd been nicer to that spindler..."

Chris said...

LOL! That's how I feel about the paper towels at work...

April said...

I thought you'd mispelled spinster. Which adds a whole 'nuther level of humor to all of this. To me at least. :)

Donna Lee said...

I know I am a spindler. But I am not the only one in the family because there is someone who puts the roll on backward and I have to change it around so that in the middle of the night I can get toilet paper with a minimum of fuss.

Sarah HB said...

Unfortunately, that appears to my job too!!!

Glad you found a purpose in life.

Valerie said...

I needed that laugh!!!

(I'm a spindler too, btw... except if I'm grouchy!)

Yarnhog said...

My husband puts the new roll ON TOP OF the empty cardboard roll. That just has to be harder than changing the roll, doesn't it? I don't even know how to respond to that.

Alwen said...

I have often thought of offering a class in spindling!

I don't know that anyone would sign up themselves, but I know a fair number of women who would sign their husbands up.

Jennifer said...

I think I was meant to be a spindler too, as I'm always changing the toilet paper too! What's up with that?

Knittymama said...

I had to stop bothering to change the roll years ago. It just gets spun around and dragged all over the place. But as long as I just set it of the back of the toilet the boys actually leave it alone. But still, I'm the only person who at least SETS a new roll out when the old one is done:-)

erasmus (aka jiva) said...

well its nice to know you are needed all over the world. Everyone needs loo paper. I don't have that problem at home because I have no spindle to place my loo roll, plus I have en suite so my other half has his own bath room. This has made life REALLY easy. If I were you I'd start advertising your tallent by leaving cardboard tubes about the place fully signed with "changed by trek, quality service and spindle maintainance technician"

Abigail said...

How lucky can you get! But rest assured that you are not alone. I too am a Spindler and my hubby has made the very same claims as yours.

Truth is stranger that fiction.

Aunt Kathy said...

Loved your b;log today, and all the comments

Hey is anyone there??? I need a spindler, I should have looked before I sat down. Darn it.

trek said...

When I spun this little yarn yesterday, I had no idea what a nerve I would be touching!

Lorraine said...

ROFLOL! That's the story at our house, too. Although, we have 4 bathrooms and 6 family members, which means I'm changing at least one roll a day, somewhere.

The worst thing is to see a half used roll sitting on the ledge next to the potty, meaning someone has gotten another roll out, used it multiple times and STILL didn't put it on the holder. (sigh)

trek said...

Now that is just not right.

sydney said...

I think men lack the spindle changing gene. :)

Monkee Maker said...

Ooh ... do you hire yourself out? I could really use you here today ... but could you bring your own rolls? We seem to have one fast dwindling roll servicing three loos currently ....

:)

zippiknits said...

I thought you were going to say that you were dragging out all your spindles to spin a very special yarn for maybe the Queen of England.

Yes, it's my "job" here too, to change those. I DO make sure that a nearly full roll is on the spindle when company is coming because I am the only one who knows where the rest is hidden. ;o)