Wednesday, January 09, 2008


Mmmitts

I blame April and The Sheep. It is obviously, unquestionably, undeniably their fault.

April has been bragging posting about how it's been "all mitts, all the time at Chez Insanity". She's knit at least six pairs of fingerless mitts since the beginning of December. The Maine Morning Mitts have even had an encore appearance in a different yarn.

Monday, Sheepie chimed in with how it was "all MMM" for her on Sunday, such that she even forgot to have her black and white cookie. She then had the audacity to show up on the blog yesterday with photographic evidence of having completed one mitt already.

I was utterly powerless before the onslaught. I mean, here I was with 1½ skeins of leftover Bollicine Maxi from the JIT Hat and two fingerless mitt pushers knitting peeps all but demanding encouraging me to knit Maine Morning Mitts.

Then the hat itself got in on the deal, complaining about how I kept pairing her up with simple black leather gloves. Though I tried to convince her that black is classic, that black is timeless, that black leather goes with any hat or coat, she would not be swayed. She started demanding matching handwarmers. The hat didn't really care whether she got gloves, mittens, or fingerless mitts; she just wanted color coordination.

Yeah, you knew where this was going all along, didn't you? You're very quick that way.

I downloaded the pattern and cast on. After a few rounds, I stopped to evaluate the fit and the fabric. The cuffs were obviously too small; the fabric was just as obviously too loose for mittens/gloves.

So, I dropped down a couple of needle sizes and increased the cast on stitch count by 33%. With these modifications, things progessed nicely. There wasn't a whole lot of time yesterday for the knitting, but this is how a Maine Morning Mitt looks just before you start the thumb gussets.

Maine Morning Mitts

Mitt on a Messy Desk

PS - Yes, I am planning to post the numbers for my mods once I am finished. There will be a fair few since my yarn is light worsted, not Aran weight.

10 yarns:

Chris said...

Pretty!! Ah, peer pressure. :)

Hockey Mom said...

I just finished a pair of the MMM last night for my son out of my handspun alpaca. These are my favorite f.m.'s ever.

Pretty!

Lorraine said...

Arrgh - now I'm feeling the pressure. I love mitts for the hockey arenas and you can really never have too many pairs can you?

Jennifer said...

No one can resist the siren song of the mitts.

April said...

I'm feelin' sorta evangelical and stuffs.

Carrie K said...

Mmmmmmitts! Marvelous!

Sheepish Annie said...

I know, right??? I mean, how can you resist knitting these things? I just finished mine tonight and am casting on for another pair since I still have more of the Noro. The only thing you can do at this point is just keep spreading the madness. At least we will all be knitting the things together...

I think that the Malabrigo is going to work well for these, too!

Donna Lee said...

But what about my cold fingers? My hands are usually not the cold parts, my poor fingers are.

Bea said...

Its looking good so far!

zippiknits said...

Well, you couldn't have asked for a prettier yarn to make them out of, all nice spring colors and all. Someday I'm going to make some mitts.