Sunday, December 02, 2007


Jitting

We woke up to a light dusting of snow this morning. I cleared off the driveway and the sidewalk and by the time we got home from church, the snow had restarted and we are now working on a second dusting. Good thing that I finished my yarn hat last night. Programmer geek types will appreciate the name.

Just in Time Hat

Double layer of ribbing = warm ears

If you knit this hat, please leave me a comment and send me a link to a picture of it. If you are on Ravelry and are knitting this hat, please put it in your Ravelry project list. I'd really like to see them. Thanks.

JIT (Just in Time) Hat
Size
to fit 21" head with little ease

Gauge
20 sts and 24 rows in 4" in St st on larger needles in the round

Materials
Cascade Yarn Bollicine Maxi - 75 grams (1½ balls)
70% merino wool/25% acrylic; 109 yards/50 grams (worsted weight)

16" circular needles in size 6 US and size 8 US
dpns in same sizes
yarn needle for weaving in ends

Beginning
Cast on 104 stitches on larger circular needle. Transfer to smaller circular needle. Join, being careful not to twist.
Work 14 rounds of k3, p1 rib.

Work one round of picot set up: *k2tog, yo*, rep between *.
Knit one round.
Work 14 rounds of k3, p1 rib.

Change to larger needle.
For each stitch on the left needle, pick up the corresponding stitch of the cast on edge and knit the two stitches together. This finishes the picot edge.

Work one round (k24, k2tog) 4x (100 sts rem).

Knit even until hat is about 6" from the picot edge - 24 or more rounds.

Decreases
Work decreases as follows, switching to larger dpns at round 6 and switching to smaller dpns for round 11.

Round 1 - (k8, k2tog) 10x (90 sts rem)
Round 2 - knit
Round 3 - (k7, k2tog) 10x (80 sts rem)
Round 4 - (k6, k2tog) 10x (70 sts rem)
Round 5 - (k5, k2tog) 10x (60 sts rem)
Round 6 - (k4, k2tog) 10x (50 sts rem)
Round 7 - (k3, k2tog) 10x (40 sts rem)
Round 8 - (k2, k2tog) 10x (30 sts rem)
Round 9 - (k1, k2tog) 10x (20 sts rem)
Round 10 - (k2tog) 10x (10 sts rem)
Round 11 - (k2tog) 5x (5 sts rem)
Cut yarn and run tail through the five remaining live stitches. Weave in all ends.

10 yarns:

Heide said...

Thank you for the hat pattern! I'm going to make one today.

Sheepish Annie said...

Just in time, indeed. I'm looking at 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow. Gah! Where's my hat...I know I knit a hat last winter!!! I need to find my hat!!!

That's a fabulous one, BTW. If I thought I could finish one for tomorrow, I'd do it.

Chris said...

Cute! We had maybe 6-8" of snow yesterday.

Jennifer said...

I really like that yarn! What a pretty colorway.

mrspao said...

Nice hat :) We haven't had snow here in so long....

Bea said...

How did I miss this?? I think its cute. No knitting it for me though because we are in the 60's today :( bah Shouldn't Christmas be cold??

lyndylew said...

Thank you for sharing this great pattern. I knit for the homeless & the double knit brim is perfect for added warmth. I will post it on ravelry when I'm done.

-zj- said...

I made your hat and am quite pleased with it turned out--as you requested...I have a couple of photos to share--but I do not have a blog, website, or ravely account...would be happy to send them direct but can't find your email address. -zj-

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Ok you wanted links to pictures here you go ! And by the way I love this pattern you did a wonderful job thanks for shareing it with all!!! Hugs Marion
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/4349287078_90bf70eb6c_b.jpg

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

shoot that last link didnt work proper. Here is a new one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mommabear7/4349287656/in/photostream/