Wednesday, October 24, 2007


Yarn 2, trek 0

Back in June, I was swatching some yarn to cast on for the Rogue Hoodie. You'll remember that I could not for any amount of knitterly love or stash busting money get the specified gauge with this particular yarn. I was, however, able to crunch some numbers and determine that I could still make this sweater with this yarn if I cast on for one size larger. With my gauge, the sweater would come out to the smaller (my) size. This was all very well and good but I did not cast on at that time.

We have been promised some cooler weather here; despite The Sheep's recent apocaplytic warnings. Cooler weather makes a knitter think of warm woolly things, so this week, I swatched some more. On size 6 needles, I got 5 stitches and 7 rows per inch. On size 7 needles, I got 5 stitches and 6 rows per inch. This was actually good news.

The fabric on the size 6s was a bit firm but on the 7s was suitably flexible and the row gauge on Rogue is 6 per inch. Lovely. I was golden. Or so I thought...

Do you hear the scary music in the background? No? That's okay. When I cast on for the sleeve last night, I did not hear it either.

Rogue has an interesting combination of double increases that start the points of the sleeve cuffs' Celtic cable motifs. After working on them last night, I have concluded that you need a nice springy yarn so as to prevent the formation of ugly holes beneath the pretty points. Nice, springy wool yarn - not the 50/50 wool/modal blend that I have here.

No, I will not take a picture of the ugly holes! This is a family blog and that sort of ugliness might scare the occasional child who reads here.

So, it looks like I am now in the market for a yarn more suited to these particular cables. Lots of people have had wonderful success with Wool of the Andes and with Cascade 220. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and the Totem? I'm thinking that a nice drapey folk shawl could work. What say ye?

10 yarns:

Gena said...

Well that stinks!

Cindy said...

I out in a vote for Wool of the Andes. I just finished a pinwheel sweater and it is absolutely lovely to work with and feels luscious when knitted and blocked.

Deb said...

It's so worth getting the right yarn for your Rogue! I used Classic Elite Skye Tweed and loved it. Rogue is my FAV knit ever! Good luck and SPLURGE!

JustApril said...

AW too bad. Hope you find your perfect Rogue yarn soon.

Yarnhog said...

I think all of our lives should have scary music cues so that you know when you're entering into dangerous territory. There could even be a soundtrack with people shouting, "No, go back! DON'T OPEN THE DOOR!", something I find I am powerless to resist doing while watching scary movies, even though the characters never seem to take my excellent advice. Good luck with Rogue. Da-Da Da-Da. Da-Da Da-Da.

Chris said...

Well, pooey! I guess I should just skip right along and not bother trying to swatch with the silk/wool blends I contemplated.

Sheepish Annie said...

Good heavens...you've been so good to the yarn over the years. Why is it suddenly turning on you like this? Unfair, I say!!!

Lisa said...

Bummer! Well now you will have to go yarn shopping. I know you can hardly stand the thought, but you must. We will cheer you on if you need us to. ;)

Jennifer said...

Wool of the Andes would work nicely, but it comes in such small skeins. You'll be weaving in a million ends. Cascade 220 would be good. I knit mine in Jaeger Shetland Aran which was lovely to work with.

Monkee Maker said...

Hmmm. Sounds like Rogue by name, Rogue by nature.

Go on - post pics!!