Sunday, October 14, 2007


Wanted: new home

Blog readers who have been with me since the beginning might remember that back in August of 2005, I cast on a black sweater for me. It was the third such attempt in my lifetime. The sweater pattern was a child's pattern that I had knit for Neatnik and loved and tried to up-size to fit me.

It might have worked if I had remembered that the gauge swatch was in Stockinette stitch and not the pattern stitch. If I had remembered that teeny, tiny, minor fact, I might have calculated the correct number of stitches and not have knit an extra small sweater. The silver lining in that particular cloud was that (1) I entered the Black Sheep Sweater in a Harvest Home Festival in September of that year and won a second place ribbon and (2) I gave the sweater away as a Christmas gift - for a 12 year old.

Black Sheep

Black Sheep Sweater
Bad lighting - sweater really was black

It was well over a year before I considered casting on another black sweater for me. I bought some lovely soft black yarn and a pattern. There should have been plenty of yarn because I bought more than the pattern required. Or so I thought. It seems that that pattern had a typographical error in it and I did not have nearly enough yarn to knit the sweater. Grr.

Not to worry. I could still knit a black sweater vest. I had the yarn and I had a pattern. In fact, I had more than enough yarn.

Sure there were some problems along the way, but I loved the soft, drapey yarn and I persevered and I put up with letter after letter from the work in progress and eventually, I had a completed black sweater vest. That I knit. Just for me. The infamous Curse of the Black Sweater was broken.

Now, I know what you are all thinking. "Why on earth is trek dredging up all of this old news? Is she that hard up for blog fodder this weekend?"

No, blog fodder isn't quite that thin on the ground that I am revisiting old news just to distract you. You see, we have a problem with the black sweater vest.

Back in February, when the vest came off the needles, it was on the loose and relaxed side but it fit me. Now it does not. trek seems to have lost a Neatnik equivalent in weight this year and the black sweater vest is too big for me.

I outright refuse to frog this fine knitted garment.

Black Sweater Vest
Wanted: new home

Are you a knitter who could use a pitch black sweater vest? Would you swoon over a soft, silky, handknit wool/silk/alpaca garment? Do you wear a women's size large/extra-large?

If the answer to all of these questions is "yes", please leave me a comment. I will pick a name in a week or so and then I shall say good-bye to the black sweater vest and send it on its way to a new home.

Maybe I shall knit myself a black sweater again.

Someday.

19 yarns:

Chris said...

Alas! Y'know, you should just knit a super casual black sweater for yourself from cotton fleece or something, just to keep the curse broken. I highly recommend the refined raglan for being speedy and attractive.

Dave said...

So sad about the sweater no longer fitting, but congratulations on what sounds like an amazing amount of weight loss!

Sheepish Annie said...

Weight loss is good! Too bad about the vest, but it is probably worth it to be able to say that something is too big. I hope it finds a good home!

Anonymous said...

New home available with a welcome mat at the door. (sure is hard to type this with crossed fingers) (~_~)

Good for you in the weight loss department. Wish I was there with you. Hummmmm do you suppose it's a magic vest that could do the same for me? If so, it could be renamed the "Magic Traveling Vest" and be sent from home to home to accomplish it's knitterly magic. Ann

Heide said...

Dang, I wish I was bigger, but I'm 5'4" and of average build so the vest probably wouldn't fit. Congratulations on the reason for it no longer fitting. Whomever receives it must take a picture.

Julie said...

Not really a bad problem to have, I'd say. Sure, you put a lot of work into that vest, but losing that much weight has got to feel great! Congrats.

trashalou said...

Due to inherent laziness I think this sweater vest may fit me. I would be happy to look after it.

Jenny Raye said...

Hey, this may fit me, and I'd love a black vest! Congrats on the weight loss!

Anastacia said...

If it was a sweater that I'd be massively layering, 46" wouldn't be bad, but as a vest, it'd be too big :(. Sigh.

Lisa said...

I'd love a black vest! Weightloss congrats to ya!!

mrspao said...

Oh wow that is pretty!

Laura said...

What a pretty sweater. I would love to have something so fine in my wardrobe. I just started a new job and need to dress to impress and this would do the trick :)

My fingers are crossed

Knitone said...

That sweater is just my daughter's size. She'd love it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful vest and luckily I am the right size for it. May I be entered?
Karen
kodle@naxs.net

Anonymous said...

That is lovely! I'd love to be entered in the drawing...

Congrats on losing all of that weight, that is amazing.

Patricia
yellow_eyed_cat@hotmail.com

Cheryl said...

I'd be happy to provide it with a new home.

kitkatknit said...

L/LG - that be me!

StampinShelly said...

Yay for weight loss!! I too have been losing since January (spent much of the summer swimming at our local YMCA-love those laps). Proud to say that the sweater vest is my new size! Keeping my fingers crossed!

nekkidknitter said...

d'oh, I missed out! Beautiful vest, though. I luuuurrrrve that yarn!