Monday, October 01, 2007


Thérèse

Why, since I have only completed the second repeat (of twelve) on the front of Neatnik's Aran, did I surf Ravelry yesterday for an adult sized Aran pattern? Have I been Ravelry-infected? Do I need to focus on something non-fibery?

Okay, here's something without fiber.

Neatnik's school doesn't allow cupcakes on the individual child's birthday. Instead, they have a big birthday party during Catholic Schools Week for everyone. I kind of like this a lot: the summer babies don't get left in the cold (as it were).

Given the moratorium on cupcakes in class, I invited the children to a play date in the park after school today. I shall bring yummy frosted cookies (very like flat cupcakes) and juice and the children shall play and the moms shall chat and we shall all enjoy the afternoon. I may even do a bit of kip-ing at the park.

Oops, there's that fiber again...

# # #

"I will let fall from Heaven a shower of roses."
    -St. Thérèse of Lisieux, Feast Day October 1st

10 yarns:

Chris said...

I wonder if the no cupcakes thing is because of increased allergies/intolerances/awareness of same?

Bobbi said...

My daughter's school has implemented the same thing for the new "Wellness Program" (PC crap as far as I'm concerned.) Not only that, but they've eliminated chocolate milk as an option...what's a kid to do!?!

Deb said...

The church/school we go to is named for St. Therese and we celebrated her feast day this past weekend. What an amazing woman!

Julie said...

I like the no cupcake rule; like you said, that way the summer birthday kids aren't left out.

Sounds like a plan for a great afternoon!

Donna Lee said...

What a lovely idea. My girls were not allowed to bring in any homemade baked goods. Only prepackaged, store bought goods. This started after the tampering scares. I guess it's hard to tamper with an oreo. I am planning some kip-ing myself while the weather is still cooperative.

Sheepish Annie said...

I've always sort of liked the idea of having the parties outside of school. Not every kid has a nice mom who will send in cupcakes for their birthday and they always feel kind of left out...or I have to make them. And no one wants that!

I think your party sounds wonderful! As does the adult sized Aran. When the fiber calls, the knitter must answer. There's not much else to do!

AmyP said...

Not that my school ever stretched to such things, but I like the one birthday thing. My brother's birthday is between Christmas and New Year and he never got birthdays at school - so no friends at his parties. :(

Jennifer said...

Cupcakes and cookies are not allowed at RR's kinder either. He goes to a public school and apparently there's some rule that sweets cannot be handed out to children by teachers in the district. Plus, we were told it's too hard to keep track of children's allergies with families bringing in treats. Personally I'm fine with it. We can bring in stickers, pencils, etc. instead.

mrspao said...

I can sympathise with summer birthday kids being one myself. I remember once my dad and I made cookies with the initials of each kid in my class on the cookie. It turned into a cookie free-for-all!

janet said...

I have three boys in Catholic school. Two at St. Michael's and one at Cathedral Catholic High school. We can bring cupcakes but I really don't think these children need any more treats. They get plenty (attention,gifts, etc..)for their birthdays.
Love your St. Therese quote.