Saturday, August 04, 2007


Pinned

A question arose in yesterday's comments: "Is the lace pattern showing up well in that rather wildly variegated yarn, or is it being somewhat obscured?"

I was a bit concerned about this particular possibility myself, initially. The unblocked blob on a fidgety model makes it look probable, too, I must admit.

If I placed the work over my knee and gave it a tug here and there, though, it looked much better, so I kept on knitting. Last night, I pinned the five repeats to the blocking board (dry) just to look at the lace.

Notes to self:

  1. Photographing reddish colors under insufficient lighting at night never gives a great picture.
  2. A busy cover on the blocking board distracts the eye from the lace which is blocking.
Can you see the moons with their coronas? It is a bit clearer if you embiggen and a good stiff wet blocking will open up the lace even more.

Moonlight Sonata Shawl - Five repeats complete
Pinned out to see the lace

So, this may be a bit "busier" than some shawls, but it isn't nearly as busy as some others that I have seen. Besides, this is Socks Shawls That Rock yarn!

PS - Neatnik got a haircut on Wednesday. Today we mail the ponytail to Locks of Love; Neatnik put the pouch in the mailbox herself. I am very proud of her!

12 yarns:

Dave said...

Thanks for the pic!

Chris said...

Ok, that picture really helps. Kudos to Neatnik!

Sheepish Annie said...

Blocking is like magic, really. I'm always amazed when I see people's work after the water has done its job. That is going to be stunning and I think that the play of color is only going to enhance the pattern.

Gena said...

Oooh! I think it looks great! The color changes don't obstruct it at all, and I think they make it look even more interesting!

--Deb said...

I think that looks just fine! Variegated lace can be a tricky business, and sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. This one I'd say works!

Good for Neatnik! You should be really proud of her.

April said...

Not that I ever doubted you, you understand, but that looks FANTASTIC!!!

Carol said...

It does look nice! Not busy at all. And Kudos to the Neatnik for the donation, I hear they treasure the gift!

Jennifer said...

I think it looks lovely!

mehitabel said...

#4 daughter just had 14" of hair cut off and has sent it to LoL. She still has more hair than the average person, however. Not fair! The shawl is going to be wonderful--I have some Shawls That Rock yarn, too, as well as some Scarves That Rock. My Notorious Sock Knitters button now reads Not a Sock Knitter!

Knittymama said...

Wow, that is just gorgeous. I think they show up great.

Wish I had heard about Locks of Love a few years ago. I cut off about a foot of my hair and into the trash it went!:-(

JustApril said...

It looks really good so far! I like the variations in the yarn, too. Yaay for Neatnik!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Love the lace patterning, very pretty!