Tuesday, August 14, 2007


Pepé

Last night was knitting. We met for the first time in an LYS. Isn't that amazing? Major departure from our usual book store café or tchotchke restaurant. Anyway, we had a good turn out and a good time and even a visiting knitter from out of town.

Driving home was completely uneventful. Pulling into our driveway was equally uneventful. Getting out of the minivan and collecting my knitting was just as uneventful. It wasn't until I was schlepping my stuff up the driveway towards the front door that anything unexpected happened.

That's when I saw it. Right near the wood pile. The wood pile created by the tree service guys who stacked it up behind the house. The wood pile that Number Guy and I need to relocate.

Pepé Le Pew

A baby skunk

Yep, black and white and definitely a skunk.

I slunk, in order to avoid the skunk.

Little Pepé Le Pew wandered out into the yard, away from the driveway. I edged cautiously up the still pleasant-smelling driveway and into the house.

Number Guy and I still need to relocate all of that wood, but now we are less motivated than ever to do it.

Regarding something nicer smelling, I just read Cleo Coyle's Decaffeinated Corpse, the new release in the Coffeehouse Mystery series. Lots of neat facts about coffee. Good read.

19 yarns:

Lorraine said...

Euwwwww! Love living where wildlife comes to visit - but not skunks, coyotes or mice.

sophanne said...

Oh my- I lived on the 2nd floor of a 2-story apartment complex at the side of a river and looked out one evening to see mama skunk and 3 leetle babies!

Donna Lee said...

We seem to have a plethora of skunks this summer and they are all getting hit by cars. This spreads their lovely smell over what seems like miles an miles. The really bad part is that I live close to the melitta coffee plant and the skunk smell drowns out the wonderful coffee smell we get when the wind blows this way.

JustApril said...

Wow, you got a picture of a skunk without the possible side effects! Way to go!

Gena said...

Oh, ew! Here's hoping it decides to find a new home quickly!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Uggggh! I wouldn't be excited to move that pile either.

Glad to hear the latest Coyle is good. I just finished a book and that was next on my stack. For some reason the library doesn't have so I bought it and figure I'll donate it when I'm done.

Chris said...

Cute, but oh so deadly... I like the Coffeehouse Mysteries, too!

Samantha said...

I've been wanting to read the Coffeehouse mysteries, too. Eeeww that skunkette looks cute but I wouldn't want to get too close!

Sheepish Annie said...

We're lousy with the skunks around here, too. Beach skunks...who knew????? They don't have a tan, though.

I've never heard of the Coffee House Mystery series. I should check that one out. I like coffee!!!

Frances said...

When we first moved into our house a mother skunk made a den under an old garage in our yard. It cost too much money to move Mom and babies out. This was when Caroline was in first grade. I just had that garage taken down this winter and you could still SMELL the Pepe family.

sopranospinner said...

We had a skunk encounter also. My mom has a humane trap out for groundhogs (which we release) and we caught a skunk this morning! It was a bit of an adventure, but we managed to get it out of there without getting sprayed. Thanks again for the invitation last night. What a nice group!

Sharon said...

Skonk!!

A few years ago I went to Japan, and at Himeji Castle park, I saw a man leading a cat on a leash. A cute, black and white kitty. Except it looked kind of low to the ground.

Yep, it was a skunk. I'm sure it had to have been de-scent-glandified. The man was nice enough to let me take a picture of his pet. I'll have to scan and post it sometime.

Romi said...

Eeeeeek!

Carol said...

Eewww! Le Pew! Le Pew! My mom actually had a pet skunk eons ago, but he did have his stinker removed.

Anonymous said...

around the 4th we had a mama shunk and her 8 little ones mosey across our yard, the babies are adorable.

Annie said...

Gak! A skunk? Yeesh... I hate skunks. Tomato juice works, by the way, but you need a lot of it... especially in your hair. Ohhhh. I gave myself a shiver... Good luck.

Ruth said...

Oh, heavens! I'm glad Pepe didn't leave le Pew all over your woodpile. It doesn't seem right, somehow, that something that looks so cute and fluffy could be packing such a dangerous odor.

Jennifer said...

Coffeehouse mystery? I'm intrigued!

I would have hid and waited for the skunk to leave too. Ewww...

Anonymous said...

Hi Trek!

Thanks for the plug. Glad you're still reading my books! *Grin*

-Warmest wishes,
Cleo Coyle
(who finally has her own Web home, too--thanks for linking!)