Wednesday, August 08, 2007


Heatwave

I am trying very hard not to complain about the weather here at chez trek and its environs. I mean, it is August and we should expect it to be hot. Would you like to know how hot? Of course, you would.

The thermometer currently reads 98°F and the relative humidity is 52%. What do those numbers mean in terms of human comfort? They mean that it feels like you are entering a 115°F sauna every time that you exit the house, store, or car.

Under these conditions, I felt badly for the guys who were here doing tree removal and maintenance this week. I was sort of surprised that they didn't just wilt on my lawn. Naturally, I am pleased that I found no bodies on the lawn gasping for air or in the throes of a heat stroke induced seizure when I got home from running my errands today. They did a nice job on the trees and clean up, too.

Inasmuch as I would not consider this ideal tree removal weather, this is not great weather for contemplating the knitting of a winter sweater, either - even if I did toy with the idea of swatching for one earlier today. Nor is it good weather for working on the shawl, since the shawl has achieved certain lap overflowing dimensions.

This *may* be okay weather for knitting socks or dishcloths. Well, since I already knit a dishcloth this week, I don't particularly feel like strapping another one to the needles. Now, socks, on the other hand...

I learned last night at the new parents meeting that Neatnik can wear navy blue crew socks with her walking shorts. If they ever get here, that is. Hmph.

Anyway, as I was saying, she can wear shorter socks with her shorts and polo shirt during the fall and spring. I even have some dark blue yarn in the drawer. There are two hanks of Shelridge Farms Soft Touch Heather in Gunmetal Blue. Anyone want to give me some feedback on how well this yarn knits up and wears? I have only a month until school starts, but *maybe* I could get one pair of child sized socks done, if I really try.

And if the yarn doesn't adhere itself to my sticky arms so badly while winding or knitting that I fling it to the bottom of the closet and banish it until after the first frost.

How hot is it where you live?

PS - If you live south of the equator, don't even think about telling me how much snow is on the ground, okay? I am an overheated mommy who has been trying with no success to locate a Neatnik sized backpack during a heatwave.

19 yarns:

Jenny Raye said...

As Matthew Broderick says in some movie or other from back in the day, 'Africa hot!'

April said...

Umm, sunny and 71.

Don't hate me!!!

Becky in Iowa :O) said...

Here in Iowa, we seem to be stuck in the mid to high 80s. It is super humid here too. We have had many thunderstorms the last 2 weeks and it is supposed to continue the rest of the week. I have only been going outside when I have to. And with the kid's arm and the car troubles, it has been more often than I would have liked. LOL

Robin said...

It is 75 degrees and cloudy. We are getting a bit of rain here in the dry Minnesota prairie.

Laura said...

Trek-
LL Bean. Junior Bookpack. There is a small version. it's made for small kids, and comes in really nice prints and solid colors. I got one for my son, whose preschool requires a backpack to put stuff in. Email if you want the link to the exact one :)

Sheepish Annie said...

Remember this morning when I told you it was cool and rainy? That ended rather abruptly at lunchtime. Hot. Sticky. Steamy. 90 degrees. Bleh.

Dave said...

Nice cool breeze here today ... finally. I have used the Shelridge personally myself, but everything I've read about it has been quite positive.

Dame Wendy said...

I am right there with you on the heat.

Anna said...

North FL. I'm pretty sure it hit 107ºF this afternoon, heat index was 115ºF. Too hot for my taste. Even the gym's pool didn't help. Now tell me why they heat that thing in the summer? Unless it cools it cooler than it would be normally or something.... I wanted colder water...

holly said...

It's hot here in western NY!! The humidity is a killer. We have no AC but do have some water to jump into! I was going to say the same thing Laura said--check LLBean. Their bookpacks are REALLY nice and hold up extremely well (years).

Carrie K said...

It was 101 last Saturday and it's 80 now. Yay for me! I hope your heat goes away. Humidity is horrible.

Artseycrafts said...

Actual temperature in Atlanta, GA yesterday was 100 with a heat index of 110. We set a new record low temperature of 82. And, I AM knitting a Winter sweater with 100% wool.(LOL

jessie said...

I would be happy with 52 percent humidity. Although it never got above 93 in last week or two, I bet the humidity was in the 80s.

The best thing to do, I am finally learning, is to wait it out. Lower your expectations. Nothing good can be accomplished until the weather breaks.

(My friend Beth says to just accept being sweaty and keeping on going. But I don't like that approach. I'm waitin' it out.)

Gena said...

Pretty sure it's been mid to high 90s for the last week and a half. But I got in my car yesterday to leave work, and the thermometer read 104. I think part of me is melted to the seat.

momof2 said...

92 with 75% humidity, in other words...super hot and humid! I have a/c (thank God) and we have a pool but that id only refreshing while you are in it. So we have been stying indoors and knitting and playing computer games alot!

Chris said...

The "real feel" heat index drives me to depression...

sophanne said...

stupid stupid stupid hot here in southwestern PA (found you via uber) The one room in the house with a window air conditioner is beginning to feel a little like solitary confinement.

Lorraine said...

94 degrees but the humidity isn't too high.

PTL for air conditioning!

mrspao said...

Warm but not unbearable!