Friday, November 24, 2006


Introducing...

Lady Eleanor...Lady Eleanor (from Scarf Style).

My Eleanor certainly wasn't made to the pattern's original specifications. She wasn't ever meant to be a fancy, elegant, wear-out-for-a-night-on-the-city stole. My Lady E is intended to live on the back of my sofa, to be called into use as an evening chill wrap on those evenings when a shirt is too cool and a sweater/sweatshirt is just too hot; part of why she is the green that she is, she goes with the decor. She was also meant to be a teaching tool for learning entrelac and had to be machine washable.

Needless to say, this Eleanor was not made from La Lana Wools Forever Random (17 skeins per stole @ $22 per 70 yard skein is $374 per stole = way too expensive for its intended use). I used Lion Brand Wool Ease Chunky (8 skeins @ $4.50 with coupon per 153 yard skein is $36 = much more reasonable).

I bought eight skeins of yarn because I was making sure that I had as much total yardage as the pattern specified. Since this was the first time I was knitting this stole, I had no idea how much of the yardage would be sucked up by the knotty fringe, which I do not want on my stole.

Although I played with the idea of continuing to knit tiers until I ran short of yarn, I tried her on after completing tier number 35 - the last tier specified by the pattern. She fit my wingspan perfectly and Number Guy said she looked good on me and that if she was any longer, wouldn't she get in the way of my hands (which would likely be knitting or spinning while Eleanor is being worn).

I used six full skeins plus one top triangle worth of yarn. Yes, I was a bit put out by needing to break into the seventh skein for such a tiny bit of yarn. On the other hand, I was thankful that I had it here with me on Thanksgiving evening at 9pm when the stores were all closed. So, my total yardage used was a bit over 918. After I finished binding off, I found about five feet of yarn in the bottom of the knitting tote. I suspect that if I had not tried to start a new skein of yarn on a new rectangle/triangle each time, I would have had just enough yarn without starting in on number seven. Something to remember if one is ever going to knit this a second time.

Eleanor was cast on way back on March 20th. She was banished to the place where warm projects go for the duration of the summer and returned to the active WIP list on November 1st.

See, balance begins to return to chez trek.

17 yarns:

Jennifer said...

She looks quite cozy!

turtlegirl76 said...

It looks fabulous in a solid color! I love the idea of it being a useful display/piece of art/ cover up. This is on my to-do list somewhere far down the road when I finally get the hang of knitting backwards. =P

Hope you, Number Guy and neatnik had a great Thanksgiving!

Sarah said...

It looks really nice!

mrspao said...

Lady Eleanor is beautiful!

Carol said...

Now that is gorgeous! Thanks for the specs too, cause I would like one for the house too. Not at $400 either! So glad I have the book!

Sheepish Annie said...

Lady Eleanor is a winner! Nicely done.

Jae said...

I've never seen it knit in solid colors. Very nice!! It looks great!

Valerie said...

Woo, what a relief to end a WIP, and I really like the textured quality of entrelac in a solid.

Anonymous said...

Lovely!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

aija said...

Awesome! Is that a watermark on the photo or embroidery?

catsmum said...

I've never been all that fond of the look of entrelac ... until I saw this .
Love the effect in such a dark solid colour.
Maybe one day huh?

Beth said...

Your stole looks so beautiful!

Carrie K said...

She looks comfy!

Dave said...

Wow, a mega Eleanor! It looks so cozy -- great for snuggling.

Chris said...

Wow - she looks mega-cozy!

Zonda said...

That is the first one I've seen solid color and I love it! Looks really cozy and best of all machine washable! I know you'll enjoy it!:)

JennyRaye said...

Congrats!!! She looks great--warm and comfy.