Friday, July 14, 2006


Wonky lace socks

Wonky Lace Detail - StretchedLook, yet another Cascade Fixation yarn sock for the Neatnik! This one is called the Wonky Lace Sock - because I decided to have a somewhat non-symmetrical eyelet pattern in the leg.

It is a little hard to see the eyelets in the unstretched picture but the stretched one shows them up a little bit better, IMHO. I think that the color is number 3794, but don't quote me on that (this yarn was tossed in as part of a destash agreement and didn't have a label).

So, I suppose that you would like to see the actual pattern so that you can actually knit this sock, too, huh?

Wonky Lace Socks

Size
toddler/preschooler foot

Materials
1 skein Cascade Fixation
one set of size 2 dpns

Gauge
36 st over 4" in St st on size 2 needles

Wonky Lace Pattern
Round 1: K1, k2tog, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k1
Even rounds: Knit all sts
Round 3: K1, yo, k2tog, k2, yo, k2tog, k2, yo, k2tog, k1
Round 5: K2, k2tog, yo, k3, k2tog, yo, k3
Round 7: K2, yo, k2tog, k3, yo, k2tog, k3

Cuff and Leg
Cast on 48 sts. Join.
Work 7 rounds of garter stitch.
Work lace pattern twice ending on Round 8 (16 rounds of lace pattern).
Knit 6 rounds even.

Heel Flap
Row 1 - *Sl1, k1* rep btwn *
Row 2 - Sl1, purl to end
Work heel flap on the 24 sts that are needles 1 and 2 for 15 repeats (30 rows).

Turn Heel
Sl1, k14, ssk, k1, turn
Sl1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn
Sl1, k8, ssk, k1, turn
Sl1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn
Sl1, k10, ssk, k1, turn
Sl1, p11, p2tog, p1, turn
Sl1, k12, ssk, k1, turn
Sl1, p13, p2tog, p1, turn

Ankle Join
Sl1, k15. Pick up 17 sts along side of heel flap for gusset. Knit instep stitches.
Pick up 17 sts along side of heel flap for gusset.

Shift sts so that half the heel sts and the left gusset are on needle 1, the instep sts divided evenly on needles 2 & 3, and the rem sts on needle 4.

Needle 1 - 25 sts; needle 2 - 12 sts;
needle 3 - 12 sts; needle 4 - 25 sts

Gussets
Round 1 - Knit
Round 2 -
Needle 1 - Knit up to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1
Needle 2 - Knit across
Needle 3 - Knit across
Needle 4 - K1, ssk, knit to end of needle
Work gusset decreases for 13 repeats.
(Each needle now has 12 sts)

Foot
Knit even for 20 rounds.

Toe Shaping
Needle 1 - K1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1
Needle 2 - K1, ssk, knit end of needle
Needle 3 - Knit to 3 sts last 3 sts, k2tog, k1
Needle 4 - K1, ssk, knit end of needle
Round 2 - Knit.

Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until 24 sts rem.
K6. Graft rem sts.

Wonky Lace Sock

17 yarns:

Trish said...

Those are so cute! I love little tiny socks.

Sheepish Annie said...

Love those and the Gumballs! If I ever get my act together, my niece would love a pair of either...or both. Sadly, she will probably be leaving for college by the time I finish them.

Julie said...

Beautiful "wonky" socks! Wish I had someone to make them for - of course I could make them for my 6 month old great-niece and hang on to them. Hmmm... yes, that's what I'll do.

Becky said...

Lucky little Neatnik. Wonky is wonderful!

Dave said...

Wonky is wonderful!

Andrea said...

Cute socks. I'll try to modify for a newborn.

mf said...

your on a roll!! Cute!

Chris said...

Symmetrical, whatever - they're cute! Thanks.

StampinShelly said...

Trek is smokin' on the sock patterns. Sweet. You are great to share with us. Keep up the good work.

RheLynn said...

Really pretty! But if I knit another pair of baby socks my DH will really freak out. I think he actually took the knitting of the first pair pretty well.. considering our first one won't be here for more than a year at least!

Sydney said...

The Wonkys (Wonkies?) and the Gumballs are cute. You're on a sock pattern roll here.

Rae said...

absolutely marvelous if I must say so!

Heide said...

Thank you for the pattern, these are adorable! The gumballs are delicious too.

Knittinreed said...

Sweet!!

zani_zzz said...

They are beautiful. I love the color.

allie said...

I have some Cascade Fixation in my stash that I've been wanting to make socks with. I was having trouble finding a pattern that was "right" and now I finally found it!!! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

mrspao said...

Lovely socks :)