Wednesday, April 19, 2006


Arizona lace socks

Left sockI submitted my sock pattern idea to MagKnits but they said that they are overbooked for the coming year in sock patterns. I missed the Knitty deadline for the extremities issue, so here, in all of its glory is the Arizona Lace Sock pattern.

I developed the lace pattern while visiting Tempe, Arizona, hence the name of the stitch pattern and the sock.

Notes

  1. The pattern is written for chiral socks. If you do not care about having the spiral decreases sitting on both feet pointing inwards, you can choose to do two socks as "left" or two socks as "right".
  2. This pattern is also written to be a tight fabric and having very little negative ease. I haven't written up the adjustment for a narrower sock, however, all you have to do is to eliminate the stitches outside the brackets that occur in the rib and in the lace stitch patterns and adjust the heel turning and toe decreases appropriately.

Top of left toeArizona Lace Socks
Features
Eye of Partridge Heel
Five-Pointed Star Toe
Tempe Stitch Pattern

Tempe Stitch detailSize
~8½" around foot
women's size 8½ foot (US)

Gauge
38 sts and 48 rows over 4" in circular St st on size 2 needles

Lace on the legMaterials
2 balls Knit Picks Essential (solid)
one set of five size 2 (US) dpns
darning needle

Yarn substitutes
whatever works for you that gives the same gauge and doesn't obscure the lace

Cuff Ribbing
*P1, k1, [k2, p2, k1, p2, k2] 4x, k1, p1* 2x

Tempe Stitch Pattern
Round 1: P1, k38, p2, k38, p1
Round 2: *P1, k1, [k2, yo, ssk, sl1, k2tog, yo, k2] 4x, k1, p1* 2x

Leg
Cast on 80 (72) sts. Divide evenly over four needles. Join.
Work cuff ribbing for ~1".
Work Tempe Pattern for ~, ending on round 1.
Work one round even.

Heel Flap
The 40 sts from needles 1 & 2 are worked to form the heel flap.
Work heel back and forth, turning after every row.
*Row 1: [Sl1, k1] rep to end.
Row 2: Sl1, p39.
Row 3: Sl2, [k1, sl1] rep to last two sts, k2.
Row 4: Sl1, p39.*
*Repeat 9 times.

Turn Heel
Row 1: Sl1, k22, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 2: Sl1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 3: Sl1, k8, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 4: Sl1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 5: Sl1, k10, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 6: Sl1, p11, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 7: Sl1, k12, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 8: Sl1, p13, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 9: Sl1, k14, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 10: Sl1, p15, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 11: Sl1, k16, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 12: Sl1, p17, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 13: Sl1, k18, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 14: Sl1, p19, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 15: Sl1, k20, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 16: Sl1, p21, p2tog, p1, turn.
All heel sts have been worked and 24 heel sts rem.

Gussets
Needle 4 - Sl1, k11
Needle 1 - K12, pick up 18 sts along left heel flap
Needle 2 - K20
Needle 3 - K20
Needle 4 - Pick up 18 sts along right heel flap, k12

Gusset Decreases
Round 1: Knit
Round 2:
Needle 1 - Knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1
Needle 2 - K20
Needle 3 - K20
Needle 4 - K1, ssk, knit to end
Repeat rounds 1 & 2 of gusset decreases ten times (20 sts rem on each needle).

Foot
Work in St st until sock is 7¾" or about 2" less than desired length.
On last round, you may wish to place markers after every 16 sts.

Star Toes
Left Sock Decreases
Round 1: [K14, k2tog] 5 times (75 sts)
All even rounds: Knit.
Round 3: [K13, k2tog] 5 times (70 sts)
Round 5: [K12, k2tog] 5 times (65 sts)
Round 7: [K11, k2tog] 5 times (60 sts)
Round 9: [K10, k2tog] 5 times (55 sts)
Round 11: [K9, k2tog] 5 times (50 sts)
Round 13: [K8, k2tog] 5 times (45 sts)
Round 15: [K7, k2tog] 5 times (40 sts)
Round 17: [K6, k2tog] 5 times (35 sts)
Round 19: [K5, k2tog] 5 times (30 sts)
Round 21: [K4, k2tog] 5 times (25 sts)
Round 23: [K3, k2tog] 5 times (20 sts)
Round 25: [K2, k2tog] 5 times (15 sts)

Right Sock Decreases
Exactly the same as for Left Sock but substitute ssk for each k2tog.

Finishing
Cut yarn leaving a long tail. With darning needle, the thread yarn through rem 15 sts and pull snug. Weave in ends.

19 yarns:

Nancy J said...

Pattern looks just perfect for some yarn I've been waiting-for-the-perfect-pattern-for! I lived in AZ for 28 years, so just Have to try this one! Thanks!

Crazy About Sox said...

thanx for the freecycle search, i'll go check them out. the sox look great, thanx for the pattern.

aija said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pattern :)

rene said...

Thank you for sharing that pattern! It looks great. I get what chiral is (although I think that a physicist would laugh at my mental images of circles looking in a mirror, versus myself in front of a mirror), but I must confess that the vast majority of the wiki article went sailing right over my head. However, the sock pattern did not, and they look fantastic. :)

Sheepish Annie said...

That's cool! When I recover from my current sock crisis, I'll have to try that. Nice job.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the pattern! I'll have to put this on the "to knit" list.

Jeanne said...

Great pattern - thanks so much. Definitely on my list!

alliesw said...

I love the look of the socks, and I especially like the way your pattern is written--really helpful details and clear, clear, clear. I can't wait to try them (I only have three pairs of socks in process right now....) Thanks!

Sydney said...

Thanks for posting the pattern! I really like the look.

Pomo said...

Girl! I just saw the Yarn Harlot linked to you...I'm envious that you got to see her on tour!

Thanks for the pattern--I'll look forward to trying it!

Sharon said...

Magknits loss our gain I say, thanks for sharing.

Kate said...

They look great. Not that I'm going to start knitting socks, but great. You are famous now as you are mentioned on the Yarn Harlot's blog today.

Theresa said...

Looks fabulous. Can't wait to try it out.

Rachel said...

Thanks for a great sock pattern! I will have to make that this year!!

mf said...

Neat1 thank you! When did you try to summit to Magknits?

knitnthings said...

Holy crap - did you know that the harlot linked to you today?! I'm freakin out about this - so you must be bouncing off the walls!!

Gracie & Co said...

Trek please send me the info on the school and the contact person and we will see what we can do to help. I like sculptor of multiple media but I am afraid I am going to have to explain myself and I will end up saying I am a needle guy.

Ann said...

Love these socks, thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

They look great Trek! Will have to try the pattern. Any chance of it becoming a PDF? I do like the show of lace and design elements. Nicely done!